Tuesday, March 17, 2015

It's a family tradition

We have had 40 days and 40 nights of straight rain and I am so over it! Well, maybe not 40 but it's been a lot. The lake in our backyard here in Shreveport, has risen up at least 100 feet into our backyard and the mud is just out of control. All this to say, yesterday the skies parted, and hallelujah thank you Jesus I saw the light! Beautiful, warm, glorious sunshine came out and it felt sooo good. We smoked steaks, the boys played ball, and I got to sit on my fabulous new deck.  


How amazing is Brandon Shaver! He can simultaneously play football with Jaxon, baseball with Kade, while entertaining Bryce. What! Which leads me to my story. One thing you must know about Brandon is that he loves sports! Baseball yes, football yes, golf yes, soccer not so much, and then there's basketball. Oh sweet basketball! He's a humble guy so he won't tell you much about it, but back in the day B was the man. He was an all star, blue chip, travel the country kind of player. He had a dream, and it was to play ball. His freshman year of college that all came to a screeching halt when he destroyed his ankle. Three reconstructive surgeries later he's not quite the same, but he can still hang with the best of them and shoot the lights out any day of the week. His love for the game has never stopped and he has absolutely loved coaching our boys and their friends these past few years.


All of this basketball love leads me to one very special event in the Shaver family. March Madness Baby! Now, I must be honest and tell you that, before Brandon, my knowledge of sports was pretty much nonexistent. Come to think of it, I'm surprised he was able to look past that and marry me anyway. I remember my very first encounter with the infamous Earl Dean, (Brandon's dad) He shook my hand, looked me straight in the eye, and said basketball is number one in Brandon's life. I smiled and laughed a little, looked him right back in the eye and said we'll see about that.

For over 22 years the Shavers have been filling out their brackets to see who can pick the sweet 16, elite 8, final 4, and of course the big winner. As soon our boys were old enough to speak they got to choose their brackets too, and whoever wins overall gets treated to dinner. Earl comes from the hills of Kentucky which means we are all huge UK fans! We have UK shirts, mugs, socks, hats, and sweatshirts coming out of our ears thanks to all of the aunts and uncles who send the best Christmas presents. (Love you guys! ) The wildcats are undefeated going into the tournament this year and I have them picked to win it all. Have you filled out your bracket yet?







No comments:

Post a Comment